Brek's blog

Monday, January 07, 2008

A busy December

As usual, we have left it too long since our last post and now I have to cram all of a very busy December into one post. So I will keep it brief.

There were really four reasons why we went back to Aus last month - to see everyone again before our UK adventure, to spend Christmas with the family, to go to Bek's grandmother's 90th birthday, and for my graduation. I'll start with my graduation.

The engineering graduation was too early in the month for us to get back, so I graduated with the social sciences students instead - which was appropriate in a way, since my PhD ended up having as much social science content as engineering content. (And why not? It's a Doctor of Philosophy after all)

Luckily for me, my grandfather had bought and kept his academic gown, hood and bonnet from when he got his PhD so many years ago, and I was proud to give it a second life. I was also lucky that academic fashions change very slowly, so I was only mildly different from the mob who all hire theirs. For comparison, have a look at this photo of me and my aunt Gail, who was also at the graduation as part of the academic procession (for her anthropology students - another piece of luck).


Some more photos of the attendees:























After the ceremony, we were joined by Cliff, Margaret, my supervisor David and his wife Vicky for drinks and a lovely dinner on Mt Coot-tha. All in all, a very good day.

Next on our agenda was Launceston - but I think we'll put that in a separate post.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Brett, you look great and so humble. I still have months to go for my graduation, but may not have chance to attend the ceremony. Thanks for your kind offer about helping me. Good luck to you and Bek. Vuong

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 am  

  • conGRADulations. get it?

    By Blogger Dean Winter, at 2:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home