Bits and pieces
Let's start with Thursday. Thursday was a good thing. I went around Phnom Penh helping another organisation to administer a cyclo driver survey. We asked questions like how long have they done this work, how much do they make and how can we help make their lives easier. Generally speaking, these men (there are no women cyclo drivers), make around $1.50 per day, which is used to support their families of around 4 or more. Many sleep in their cyclos at night on the street and don't feel very safe. One driver was 69 years old! After getting over initial fears that the questions would be too hard, most drivers were very pleased to be able to voice their opinions and were doubly pleased when they were given a bar of soap for their efforts. I would never have thought something as basic as a piece of soap would be so appreciated. Many seemed to be very gentle, beautiful people who live very hard lives. So lessons learned - be nice to cyclo drivers and if you are going to give anything to people begging (something which I'm always torn as to what to do), a piece of soap might be a viable alternative. Also, when I say "helped administer the survey", I mean I held the soap and tried to look intelligent - well, there's not alot you can do if you cannot speak Khmer.
Then the weekend. I'm a bit cross about the weekend. Let's just say that I roamed the streets for a good part of it looking for someone and then, at 4pm on Sunday, I find out that he is in another city, 6 hours away. I guess it was a bit unlikely that I was ever going to find someone by simply walking around - I would never try to do that in Brisbane - but for some reason, I just thought I might run into them. And I did manage to squeeze in 4 episodes of West Wing, so it couldn't have all been that bad.

1 Comments:
I love the idea of wandering around a city looking for someone. Bummer you did not find them. Maybe you found other things instead?
I like to give sweets to kids - although maybe that's not really so good. I try to have sweets in my bag when in SE Asia, although I still end up doling out the dollars because I'm a sucker.
By
Oanh, at 4:18 am
Post a Comment
<< Home